Followers

Search This Blog

Translate

Monday 2 July 2012

11 JUNE 2012 DAY 17: KRAEK - SIHANOUKVILLE (430kms)


On Day 17, we rode on route 7 heading to Phnom Penh. Out of no where, the yesterday’s less traffic road was jam packed with vehicles. Then only I realized, perhaps it was a co-incident, that every time I enter a new country, it will be on Sunday, as to give me an orientation to the new place and surroundings. The road was getting from bad to worse. It took us 4 hours from Kampong Cham to reach Phnom Penh even though the distance is only 123kms. Road constructions were every where. There were many times that we had to ride on gravel and red earth roads which were heavy with traffic. Upon entering Phnom Penh, I had to cross a big bridge via motorbike lane with lots of bikes on it. We fueled up at a petrol station, and I took the opportunity to ask for direction from the friendly owner who converse very good English.

The ride in and out of Phnom Penh definitely is not for a faint-hearted person. There were lots and lots of vehicles on the road and Cambodian drivers were the worst that I have encountered with. They never follow driving rules (I wonder if driving rules ever exists in Cambodia?), they crossed and zig-zagged the road as they liked. Whenever they overtake the vehicle in front of them, they simply don’t give a damn towards vehicles from the opposite lane, especially motorbikes. There were times that I was forced out of the road due to this kind of behavior. It took us about 30 minutes to exit Phnom Penh and continue with route 4, heading to Sihanoukville. After a while, the vehicles lessened and the ride became more relaxing. As we approached a Wat, I asked Hadi to take a break as my knees hurts for sitting too long on the motorbike. While making a U-turn, I loose balance and I fall from the bike. Thank god that I didn’t suffer from any injuries, and DREAM didn’t suffer any damage as well. We took a rest at a stall near the Wat.
Taking a break after I fall from the bike


We continued on to Sihanoukville and I was welcomed to the beach city with a big shock of how busy the traffic was. I had to ask locals for direction to Serendipity Beach, and we finally checked in at Siddharta Guest House. I fall from my bike again today when going down a steep motorbike passageway to park my bike inside the guest house. This is the 6th fall so far and this time, I fall to the left side. I just told Hadi that all 5 falls that I suffered previously were to the right side, and now, god had granted my statement. Remember, be cautious when making a statement during musafir. That night we had a nice BBQ dinner, only USD3 each, which was very cheap indeed. Total ride today is 430km, 10 and a half hours.


BBQ dinner, only USD3

No comments:

Post a Comment

NASTIA

Band: NASTIA, Title: ANGGUR (taken from EP 'EKSPRESI')
HAK CIPTA ANITA YUSOF